Students fall for pumpkin spice flavoring

Pumpkin spice is a fall favorite that is sold at various establishments, such as Starbucks, Wawa, and Purebread Deli

Photo Credit: Katie Kozlowski

Photo Credit: Katie Kozlowski

Katie Kozlowski, Sports Editor

As the season of autumn approaches, students look forward to hayrides, Halloween, and pumpkin spice flavored foods.

Pumpkin spice flavoring is an annual favorite at A.I. during the fall season, causing students and faculty to purchase a variety of foods with the seasonal flavoring.

“I love fall, so I obviously love embracing all the autumnal flavors; especially pumpkin spice flavored foods,” Rachel Evans, senior, stated.

American people’s infatuation with pumpkins can be traced back to the Industrial Revolution. When people moved to cities in the nineteenth century, they wanted to uphold an association with the agrarian lifestyle that was left behind. “People used pumpkins and spices as a reconnection with their past country’s culture,” stated CBS Sacramento.

However, in the early twenty-first century, pumpkin spice became a trending flavor in coffee shops such as Starbucks. In fact, from 2005 to 2015 the growth of pumpkin spice flavoring on restaurant menus has increased from 6% to 14.5% in the U.S., according to DataSsentials.

But why has the fall flavoring become such a popular choice?

“Pumpkin spice flavoring is popular because it is a fall tradition,” Alayna Lamb, senior, said simply.

Science 2.0 explains one reason pumpkin spice is popular is due to the reactance theory. This theory states that people respond strongly towards limit time offers.

For example, Evans would pick pumpkin spice flavor cookies over regular sugar cookies because the item is in stores for a limited time.

Donovan Erskine, a junior, claimed, “Pumpkin spice is popular because everybody wants to be like everyone else.”

Additionally, Science 2.0 explains social conformity plays a part in the popularity of the flavoring because people will match attitudes to the “norms” of society in order to feel included with society.

Due to increase in the popularity of pumpkin spice flavoring, companies have begun to create goods such as pumpkin spice cookies, marshmallows, popcorn, cereal, hummus, and sausage.

“Pumpkin spice is divine! It is a delicious and a festive delight we should all take part in,” Evans exclaimed.

The Starbucks Corp. has even created a club for pumpkin spice lovers called The Orange Sleeve Society.  By becoming a member of this organization, one will receive an orange knit sleeve intended for pumpkin spice coffee cups.

Despite the popularity of the seasonal flavoring, some students believe that the trend has reached a limit.

“People should be more creative with seasonal flavors,” Erskine stated. “Pumpkin spice is overrated because it is everywhere.”