NFL Draft: Day 1 Quarterback Picks Surprise Critics

With the number one overall pick, the Cleveland Browns selected quarterback Baker Mayfield.

Rhys Levine, Sports Editor

Thursday night, in front of a crowd of eager fans, the NFL Draft in Dallas kicked off, and, right off the bat, Cleveland Browns started things off with a bang. While debate swirled as to whether the Browns would use their number 1 overall on Penn State running back Saquon Barkley or take a shot with top quarterback prospect Sam Darnold, Cleveland surprised almost everyone watching with the selection of another big name quarterback. Opting to take former Heisman Trophy winner Baker Mayfield, the Browns overlooked criticisms concerning Mayfield’s small 6’1” frame, and as analyst Frank Schwab put it “took the best quarterback in the class.”

From there, seizing the opportunities granted, the Giants and Jets, with the second and third overall picks, snatched up Barkley and Darnold. Advancing past the first three picks, the Browns, after acquiring the number 4 pick from the Houston Texans, selected cornerback Denzel Ward, a solid addition to a defense that had raised questions in seasons prior. Picks 5 and 6, owned by the Denver Broncos and Indianapolis Colts, respectively, also proved solid, with Denver adding a defensive piece in Bradley Chubb to go alongside Von Miller, and the Colts picking up guard Quenton Nelson, who they hope can aid in protecting Andrew Luck, whose offensive line has been shaky for years on end.

The Buffalo Bills, meanwhile, with a pick received from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, took the second quarterback of the draft, netting Josh Allen seventh overall. However, to the surprise of many, the majority of one of the most highly-regarded quarterback classes remained available, including Josh Rosen and the dynamic Lamar Jackson. As picks 8 and 9 passed, Rosen watched from his seat as the Chicago Bears chose linebacker Roquan Smith and the San Francisco 49ers picked up offensive tackle Mike McGlinchey. Rosen, however, would not have to wait much longer to hear his name called.

With pick number 10, the Arizona Cardinals, much to the relief of the Cardinals fan base, picked up the polarizing Rosen, who later said that there were “9 mistakes ahead of him.” Upon the completion of the first 10 picks, picks 11-20 saw a noticeable uptick in defensive selections, rife with big names like safety Derwin James and defensive tackle Da’ron Payne. All the while, however, Lamar Jackson, who had considered by many to be a top-15 talent, continued to slip, dropping down the board at an alarming rate.

Beginning with the Cincinnati Bengals selection of center Billy Price, the last draft picks saw a major shift, with seven of the next eleven picks playing on the offensive side. These included highly-touted wide receiver D.J. Moore, as well as running back Rashaad Penny. Still though, Jackson remained on the board, even as the first round was drawing to a close. And, with the Philadelphia Eagles owning the last-pick, it appeared that Jackson was going to fall to round two. But, in a move that is already being described as the steal of the draft, the Ravens, who had drafted tight end Hayden Hurst, traded up for the final pick, and seized the opportunity to snatch up Jackson.

Heading into night two, still with a number of tantalizing players on the board, fans and teams alike are both excited to see what picks 33 to 64 will bring.