We In there like Skin Care; Natural beauty tips you can make at home

Sugar scrubs are great way to  exfoliate. No matter where you put them you're guaranteed soft, clean skin.

Sugar scrubs are great way to exfoliate. No matter where you put them you're guaranteed soft, clean skin.

Morgan Bond, Staff Reporter

As teenagers we’re  going through all types of changes. Some of us are getting jobs, or trying new clubs, or playing varsity sports. Meanwhile seniors are making the final decisions that are going to mold their future.

One consequence that comes along with all these teenage changes is acne or other skin problems, and there’s a lot of them. According to the website, Kids Health, 8 out of 10 teens have or had acne. Even though this is relatively normal, pimples and blemishes are not pleasant. Trying to treat it can cost a lot of money that frankly teens don’t  have. So, I’m here to tell you about some skin care tips that can help make your face pimple free and ready to post that selfie. The best part of all of these remedies are natural and made with objects probably already have laying in your pantry somewhere.

Now, I have to start by saying that I have combination skin. This means that my skin is not dry but it’s not super oily either. I should also say that I wear little to no make up, which can have a big effect on your skin.

Disclaimer: These tips are not guaranteed to work for everyone! These remedies are based on my experience of these homemade products. What works for me may not work for you. Skin is just as unique as snowflakes, no two are alike.

Before I get too deep in to anything I must stress this, Drinking water is crucial for clear skin! I don’t mean drinking a glass a day. NO! Try carrying a water bottle around and occasionally sipping on it throughout the day. If you don’t like the consistency you can always add honey. When it’s empty, refill it. For those people out there thinking “I hate water,”  don’t worry I was the same way. You can make water taste better by adding some fruit or boiling it and throwing in some tea leaves.

Face masks are vital for skin care. I make one using two simple ingredients, coffee grounds and milk. The type of coffee doesn’t matter; instant, fresh, whatever you have will work. The grounds help exfoliate your skin. So, what you’re going to do is mix 3 tbsp. of coffee grounds, and 3 tbsp. of milk (any kind of milk will do). You should keep mixing until there’s a loose paste, if the consistency is not to your liking you can always add honey to thicken up the mixture, or milk to loosen the mixture. Apply the mask to your face in a circular motion and let it sit for at least 15 minutes, or however long you want, and then rinse off with cold water. This mask will keep your skin soft, and the coffee has antioxidants that help cleanse your skin of toxins. Lastly, the cold water  helps close your pores.

The next natural beauty trick is a lip scrub. Lip scrubs are great for keeping your lips soft and they help your lips retain moisture. So long story short, your lips will be soft and your chapstick will last longer. This for this time of year when the weather feels like winter in the morning and spring in the afternoon, and in the process of all that your lips just  dry right up. For this lip scrub all you’ll need is sugar (brown or white) ,coconut oil, and honey. The measurements for this scrub are entirely up to you. Just make sure you mix equal parts of sugar and coconut oil and add a little sprinkle of honey. Then just mix it all together. When applying the lip scrub you can just use your finger and massage it on your lips like chapstick, but make sure you cover all of your lips. Let the scrub sit for about 5-10 minutes. I have to warn you that the temptation to just lick it off your lips will be strong but you have to resist for the best results. When your time’s up, take a  warm cloth or paper towel and wash the scrub off and apply chapstick.

Along with wanting clear skin comes wanting an even skin tone. This recipe calls for a few more ingredients but everything is still natural. You will need green tea, a banana, and some kiwi juice. I know this remedy sounds more like a smoothie than anything else, but don’t eat or drink this mixture until it’s been rinsed off your face.  You’ll need a cup of tea and a squeeze of kiwi juice; then mix in the banana. Once all the ingredients are evenly distributed in the mixture, apply an even layer on your face and let it sit for at least 5 minutes. Then wipe it off with a chilled or warm cloth.

So, that’s it! Those are just a few tips  I use in my skin care routine and I can say that they work. But, this isn’t a one and done deal. You have to set a routine when it comes to skin care. I repeat these products are not miracle workers! But, if you stick to it’ll be worth it.