How can you best prepare yourselves for the PSATs/SATS?

In this picture, we have a few textbooks stacked on top of each other to show a student was hard at work studying

Bobby Cork, Staff Reporter

The PSATs/SATs are approaching for the junior class on April 10th. Some may be worried or anxious and others may have decided against even taking the test. Even so, here, I am going to give you a few tips and tricks to calm your conscience for test day and making sure you’re prepared to do your best.

One of the main keys to being prepared is making sure you get plenty of sleep the day of or even the week of the test. According to the Douglas Mental Health University Institute, students with better quality sleep have proven to do better in math and languages. Having plenty of sleep ensures you can be focused on the day to make sure you aren’t distracted and or falling asleep during the test. If you are feeling well rested and can focus on your test and what is in front of you, you’re more likely to do well and get the best grade you can on the test.

Another key point to being ready for the test is making sure you’ve eaten a good, hefty breakfast the day of the test. Food Research and Action Center (FRAC) stated that eating breakfast does help improve your performance in school as opposed to being on an empty stomach. Kids who eat breakfast are proven to do better, work faster, and work more efficiently on all subjects. A good example of a nutritious breakfast could be eggs and bacon, yogurt and granola, or simply toast and some milk. Kids report in all the time saying that eating a good breakfast helps improve their ability to stay focused and interactive while in the classroom.

The final tip I can give having done my PSAT/SAT the previous year would be to just try your hardest. If you’re going to take the test prove you care and that you want to be there and do your best on the test. Show up on time if not show up earlier and make sure you have everything you need for the test. You don’t want to cram all the studying in the night before. Study everyday for half an hour to an hour if possible to keep the information in your mind and fresh up until test day. If anything matters at all, it’s that you’re there for yourself to give yourself a better chance at college or whatever it may be, make sure you want to be there. In the end, this is your grade and your life you’re preparing for and only you can make sure you do great.