A.I Students Reminisce About Their Favorite Childhood Shows

"This was the old Cartoon Network logo"

Nayette Windley, Staff reporter

Remember coming home after a long day of school, plopping your bookbag down, and turning on the tv to tune in to your favorite after school show? All the stress from the school day seems to melt away when you watch your television favorites deal with their own drama. Or, if you weren’t into pre-teen dramas, you would settle down after school with a jolly cartoon.   Either way I thought it would be a fun idea to reminisce with the students of A.I about their favorite cartoons.

Back in the day (the early 2000´s) there were a few networks that dominated the scene like The Disney Channel, Nickelodeon, and Cartoon Network just to name a few.  Honestly I couldn’t choose one network that was my absolute favorite. However for sophomore, Jileek Rogers there is only network that ruled them all, and that network was the one and only Cartoon Network. Rodgers enjoyed the Cartoon Network simply because his favorite shows ¨Ed, Edd, and Eddy” and ¨Codename: Kids Next Door¨ were on there. Like Rogers, senior, Moises Diaz´s favorite after school cartoon was ¨Codename: Kids Next Door¨. Diaz´s favorite  network to watch was none other than Boomerang, a network owned by Cartoon Network.

¨Boomerang had all the old, best cartoons like Scooby Doo,” commented Diaz.

When it comes to favorite TV shows however, A.I. students have different opinions on which show reigned supreme.

¨I liked Spongebob because its just Spongebob. Who doesn’t like Spongebob?¨ commented sophomore Regan Eddy.

¨Drake and Josh was my show,” said senior Jayme Dilorenzo, ¨ It was funny, and I had a huge crush on Drake.”

¨Codename Kids Next Door it was just really entertaining I could just watch it for hours, and hours,” said Diaz.

Senior, Amaya Mayo´s, two favorite shows were ¨The Proud Family” and once again  ¨Codename: Kids Next Door¨. Mayo felt like she could relate to these shows because the main characters Numbuh 5 and Penny Proud looked like her.

¨My favorite show was Hannah Montana,¨ commented senior, Sydney Stevens.

These shows weren’t just for entertainment. They taught kids life lessons whether they were serious or not.

¨Some of the shows taught me that not everyone goes through what you go through so you have to understand others,¨ expressed Stevens.

¨[Drake & Josh] taught me that family stick together… except for Megan,” said Dilorenzo

¨ Spongebob taught me that you have to draw a circle to protect yourself from a sea bear,” joked Eddy

¨Enjoy being a young kid while you still can ´cause it won’t last forever,” said Mayo.

When it comes to kid shows today though the general consensus is that they are basically trash.

¨It’s not the same,” commented Rogers, ¨They’re not teaching the same values¨

Dilorenzo also feels that today’s kids shows don´t hold up to the same standards as they did back then.

¨They are terrible they don’t really teach anything. They´re pointless and not original,” said a passionate Dilorenzo.

¨Cartoon network definitely got worse, and Disney is not the same,” added Rogers

¨Now I think cartoons are overly censored, and try too hard when it used to be random and funny,” stated Mayo.

¨I think they are cute and some of them are annoying,” commented Eddy.

¨They aren’t as good as they used to be, and the acting is bad sometimes,” added senior, Guadalupe Garcia.

Even though kid shows in this day in age are not the same as what they used to be at least most of A.I´s students got to enjoy the prime of tv shows. They were funny, random, and original unlike most of the excuses of kid shows that are seen on TV today. If all is lost and future kids shows still lack that pizzaz that the old shows had, students can always keep the joy alive and cherish the memories that their favorite old shows gave them.