Vegetarian Options for the Everyday Meat Lover

My+attempt+at+a+vegetarian+dish+
My attempt at a vegetarian dish

My attempt at a vegetarian dish

My attempt at a vegetarian dish

Simone A. Scott, Editor in Chief

At some point we have all wanted to try out the vegetarian or vegan diet. Whether or not that thought was carried out is different for each person. The hardest part for a lot of people who attempt the cruelty-free lifestyle is cutting meat cold turkey. Instead it might be a smarter idea to slowly ease up on the meat intake over time. Maybe when going out to eat choosing a vegetarian option would make you feel better, or cooking the vegetarian meal you already love at home. I didn’t even realize I could call myself a vegetarian if I survive off of grilled cheese and pizza.

The selected few that choose to consume a vegan and vegetarian diet seem to always rave about how food is still enjoyable without meat. Many people, myself included, go straight to the “I can’t imagine life without burgers and chicken nuggets” jab as a way to keep eating meat without the guilt.

Nayettes “Garbage Fries”

When asked about her favorite easy peasy’ vegan snack, senior, Nayette Windley, answered with her self-titled garbage fries. Windley compares them to a meat lovers chili fries. Black bean burger patties are used as the chili substitute. Windley made no effort to slow down when raving about how delicious the fries taste and how someone wouldn’t notice the difference in protein. “ There’s no way you could tell a difference it’s like eating chilli fries” Windley again adds.

Morningstar Farms

Senior, Tracey Watts was asked about her favorite vegetarian dish and before I could finish the sentence Mac N’ Cheese was said with an expression that took no thought into account. Watts then listed vegetarian companies and one that stood out to me was Morning Star Farms. Morningstar Farms is a veggie cuisine distributor and offers vegetarian protein options. I will say that when I looked on the Morningstar website the images on the packaging for the bacon substitute didn’t look too appetizing and closely resembled the fake cardboard bacon offered at lunch.

I decided to try and create my own go-to vegetarian dish and from all my feedback I have decided to try spaghetti with Gardein soy meatballs. Although the meatballs clearly tried to taste similar to beef the soy taste was obviously showing its head. Surprisingly the soy didn’t overpower the marinara sauce and the meatball were edible; even tasty when paired with spaghetti noodles.

I think for me to have a healthier diet and make take better care of my body I should try to consume more vegetarian meals. The Gardein meatball would be an option for me in the future and I definitely want to try Nayette’s garbage fries. I know that my personal preference is to remain a meat lover but to incorporate plant based meals, but whatever works for you works.