Privileged Student Tries to Live Off Of $2.50 A Day

Low-budget burrito bowl made by Nayette Windley

Nayette Windley, Staff Reporter

Eating off of $2.50 a day. Is this really possible for someone like me who anticipates and has daydreams about the food she’s going to eat throughout the school day? In the back of my head before trying this challenge I was thinking ¨there is no way I can do this¨, but then I remember that there are people in this world who have no choice but to eat off of the little that they have. I thought about this article I read a few years back about a celebrity who, if memory serves me correctly, was Selena Gomez, but I’m not 100% sure, eating off of $1.50-$2.50 to raise awareness about what people everywhere go through. So I’m thinking “If a celebrity can do this challenge effortlessly, so can I¨.  There is only one rule for this challenge: the total amount of food I eat a day cannot exceed over $2.50 (seasonings not included).  

The first day of the challenge, I didn’t eat breakfast which I normally don’t do on school days, but by the time first period ended my stomach started to talk to me. I didn’t pack anything I could eat that would be fit for this challenge so I spent most of homeroom thinking about Chinese food and how deliciously crunchy $1.50 spring rolls are.

¨I couldn’t do it; I need my 2 for $2 Sizzlis,¨ commented junior, Chad Jones ,when he pondered whether or not he could do this challenge. By the time I got to last period I was Googling pictures of veggie panini’s (which are way over my budget). My friend offered me some Doritos, but I sadly declined due to the fact that would be spending one fifth of my food budget on an unsustainable snack that wouldn’t hold me till dinner. As the school day dwindled I thought ¨I can’t wait to go home to make something to eat¨. For dinner that night I had stewed black beans and a cup of rice. For dessert I had a snack pack of nutter butters which surprisingly cost only .49 cents at my local grocery store. All together I ate $1.64 worth of food that day. Was I satisfied and full after that meal? Honestly, yeah, it was a good amount of food, but was I happy with the fact that my aunt brought home Chinese food afterwards? Absolutely not. Truthfully looking at the fried rice she got made me want to shed a tear.

The second day of the challenge went a little smoother than the previous day, but there were still some bumps along the road. My desk buddy in pre-calc, Valencia Gonzalez, senior,  never fails to bring a few snacks to class and this day was no different. I couldn’t help but to say ¨mmmm¨ when I smelled the delectable looking fudge cookie that was placed on her desk. Gonzalez being the generous person she always is said ¨You can have a piece if you want¨.

¨Nah, I’m good¨, I declined.

Then I proceeded to tell her that I was doing this challenge. This was a big mistake because then she started taunting me with one of my favorite snacks, gushers. This made me want to punch her in the throat, but I successfully resisted her temptations, and the urge to punch her in the throat. For lunch  I had two applesauce cups (.24 cent each) and felt fine for the rest of the school day. After school I made this sort of burrito bowl out of white rice, black beans and canned potatoes. Although this meal was similar to the previous day’s meals, it was both delicious, and filling. I was kinda scared because I thought using both the beans and potatoes would make be go over my budget, but surprisingly I only ate $2.32 worth of food that day.  The last day of the challenge I had two applesauce cups for lunch, 2 bricks of Ramen noodles, and a snack pack of Oreos. I ate more food that day than I did the previous two days and I only ate $1.47 worth of food.

One thing that this challenge has taught me is that I am extremely privileged. The fact that I did this as just a “challenge”  shows me just how privileged I am when there are people everywhere who have no choice but to do this every single day. This challenge made me more thankful for the food I eat, and I learned how to savor my food instead of hastily shoving it in my mouth without being thankful for every bite.