Celebrities wearing black to the Golden Globes simply is not enough

The cast of Big Little Lies, a show that discussed abuse, wearing black on the Golden Globes red carpet. From left to right, Nicole Kidman, Zoe Kravitz, Reese Witherspoon, Laura Dern, and Shailene Woodley.

Lizzie deBrabander, Op/Ed Editor

Not long ago, January 7th to be exact, the actors and actresses of Hollywood walked the red carpet at the Golden Globes like every year. However, this year, in the days leading up to the main event, many celebrities posted #TimesUp on their social media profiles and arrived on the Golden Globes scene donning black attire and “Times Up” pins, all in protest of the sexual abuse epidemic currently plaguing Hollywood.
At first glance, this was a brave and effective way to draw attention to the issue and show support. Though upon closer inspection, something doesn’t quite sit right. For one, many of the celebrities openly supporting the movement to end sexual assault in Hollywood are sexual abusers themselves, which is hypocritical to say the least. Actors James Franco and Aziz Ansari are currently under fire for sexual harassment claims from women. For another, wearing black and saying “Times Up” just isn’t enough. When someone has a platform that large they should be doing so much more.
Some options for celebrities trying to stop sexual harassment in the workplace could be promoting the stories and comments and ideas of survivors, starting an organization to help, posting links on their pages to already established organizations, or the often ignored yet most important: not sexual abusing, harassing or raping women.
All things considered I do think that wearing black was a kind gesture and I sincerely loved those who spoke out verbally throughout the event, but it should definitely be considered as a jumping off point for the movement, not a one-and-done occurrence. Otherwise the gesture is empty, pointless, and men getting away with doing the bare minimum to help.
Students at school had suggestions for what celebrities can do to help the sexual misconduct issue. Stephan Browne-Blackman, Junior at Alexis I duPont, called survivors to action, “Wearing black is a start but it’s not the peak. More people need to speak up without fear in hopes to get the point across”.
Another Junior, Alexandra Cahall, said celebrities should “make people more aware of the severity of the situation by speaking out on social media to encourage people to speak up and do what they believe in”.
Susana Gotera, junior, encourage the people of Hollywood to “create better resources” for the survivors. When asked if she thought showing solidarity, by wearing black or a “Times Up” pin was enough, she said “I think it is a good way to protest because it was nationally broadcasted”.
However, when many other students were asked the same question it was a resounding no. Those in positions of power need to be doing more. I must say, I agree.
The the protest at the Golden Globes needs to start the ball rolling, not be the end of a movement that’s just beginning.