Modern Day Slavery Revealed in 2017

Human beings in Libya are being chained up and sold in 2017

Simone A. Scott, Editor in Chief

Recently the slave trade in the African state, Libya was brought to light by an anonymous source who shared a  video  that went viral showing men being sold for $400, and the world took notice.

Migrants attempting  to travel to Europe to seek safe asylum from their, sometimes war torn, third world countries are sometimes kidnapped by the people who claim to be taking them to freedom, but instead bring them to Libya. According to a Time article, Libya is a main transit route for migrants trying to seek asylum in European countries. Also stated in the article, in the past three years around 15,000 people have tried  to make it into Europe, and nearly 3,000 people have died attempting the dangerous journey.

According to Antislavery.org, the International Organization of Migration haveidentified over 250,000 migrants in Libya, but estimated the true number to be between 700,000 and 1 million.”

Detention centers were created to house people safely before being moved to another country. In the overcrowded detention centers there are reports of robbery, murder, and rape. Conditions migrates live through are unimaginable.  

In a Washington post article, 25-year-old, Ishmael Konte, from Sierra Leone recounted his experience in Libya with smugglers.

“They flogged me, they slapped me, they beat me while I was on the phone with my mother so she could hear me cry,” he stated.

Men, women, and children are given false hope thinking they have a shot at a new life only to be shipped to horrible camps. Rwanda has offered asylum to 30,000 migrants trapped in Libyan detention centers.

The U.N.  Security Council said it would step up its work to stop the abuse in detention centers. Towards the end of November, European and African leaders created an evacuation plan to relocate people out of detention centers, but some migrants are just being flown back to the countries they tried to leave originally. Multiple news sources argue that a big problem in Libya is their crumbling government. After the fall of national leader, Moammar Gaddafi, back in 2011, Libya has seen an increase in criminal acts.

Many celebrities have aided in spreading awareness on the horrific subject, including Pharrell and Hip-Hop artist Nas. The celebrity attention on the issue is a way to ensure the slave trade doesn’t go unnoticed for any longer.