Top Five Places To Get The Best Vegan Food In Wilmington

The red coconut curry stir fry along with a honeybar dessert with strawberries, grapes, and chocolate chips from the restaurant Honeygrow.

Mini Vice, Staff Reporter

In Wilmington, Delaware there are many places to get food, but for those of us with selective diets, it is a bit of a struggle. With so much information coming out about the meat and dairy industry, more and more students at A.I. are becoming vegans. With that said, we need places to eat. In my search for good vegan food, I found some really good gems along the way.

My fifth favorite vegan place is Pizza By Elizabeths. This is located right across the street from A.I. You can create your own pizzas here because they have vegan mozzarella and cheddar cheese. For toppings, they have many fresh veggies and herbs. If you aren’t feeling pizza, they also have lots of salads and even a hummus plate.The environment is really inviting and the establishment is very large and spacious. “I loved it. The atmosphere is so elegant and fun. They have so many abstract pizza options!” Courtlyn Witte, senior, stated.

Located off of Pennsylvania Avenue, 8th and Union Kitchen is a great place to get food with vegan alterations. The restaurant itself isn’t vegan, however they pride themselves on their ability to provide vegan options. On their menu, the restaurant indicates if they can make the item vegan and all you have to do is tell your server.

They have many appetizers here that are vegan including brussel sprouts, edamame, buffalo cauliflower, fries, guacamole plate, and mushroom flatbreads. They also have a plethora of soups and salads. Also, the menu’s dinner options host a mushroom pho, cauliflower burger, fried rice, and pad thai.

8th and Union Kitchen also has many deals on weekdays. On Mondays there is 50% off burgers and on Wednesday there are ½ off small plates.

Bellefonte Cafe is a great place to go to for dining in. The atmosphere is great and there is almost always live music. The vegan options they have are expansive, including vegan cheesesteaks, hummus wraps, black bean burritos, hummus stuffed avocado, and chickpea fajitas.

Their black bean soup is a staple and their banh mi wrap, which is a spicy tofu, pickled vegetables, and avocado wrap, is to die for. The restaurant is really inviting and always has a vegan dessert on the menu. My favorite is the orange slice.

Bellefonte Cafe is located in northeast Wilmington in a great neighborhood. The restaurant is located in a house which was turned into a place of service.

My second favorite place to go to is Honeygrow. It is located on Concord Pike in the same shopping center as Trader Joe’s (which is another a-MAZING place). Honeygrow’s specialities are stir-fries, salads, and honey bars.

They have the Red Coconut Curry stir-fry which is completely vegan or you could choose to make your own. You can choose from are the coconut curry sauce and the sesame garlic sauce. You can also add in any tofu, vegetables or toppings that they offer.

The salads are probably the most amazing I have ever had. You can pick one of their choices or make your own. I usually make my own and add in as many of the fun toppings I can. Quinoa, kale, croutons, pineapple, and black beans are some of my favorite add-ins. They have a balsamic as well as a red wine dijon vinaigrette for dressings.

“I love that Honeygrow has a lot of healthy options for not that much money and the dessert they have is to die for.” Brianna Castagna, senior, commented.

For dessert or for fun, you can get a honeybar. This consists of fruit drizzled in maple syrup with chocolate chips and/or coconut shavings on top.

The service is really quick and you can get whatever you want within ten or fifteen minutes of ordering.

My number one spot is Drop Squad Kitchen. It is a dine-in and take-out establishment on the riverfront that hosts an entirely vegan menu. From their V-Ribs to the Garvey chickUN wrap to the Marley salad with Jerk chickUN, nothing on their menu disappoints.

They also sell many different drinks and smoothies. My personal favorite is the Mojito Green which is virgin of course, but the combination of the mint leaves and the green tea leaves me always sipping at my straw until there is no more and still so. The sunrise smoothie is a great drink to get in the morning to wake you up. It is a great alternative to coffee and tea, seeing as it has no caffeine, but still has all the vitamins, antioxidants, and water that you need to function throughout the first part of the day.

“I think the food is really good whether you want comfort food or a healthy clean salad. Plus, the take out boxes are eco friendly, so it’s promoting zero waste in the restaurant and food industry which is hardly ever seen because everything is usually plastic.” Jennifer Martinez, senior, commented.

The company is family owned and you could easily tell that by the love and care placed into each and every bite you eat. The food doesn’t taste as if it was just made. The food tastes as if it was curated just for your taste buds every single time you go.

The food at these places is amazing and I haven’t found any better places yet.