College Application Tips For Seniors

Ashanti Armstrong photo for college application tips

Ashanti Armstrong, Staff Reporter

It’s about that time seniors!!!! College applications have been tugging on your sleeves and they are ready to be filled out. Congratulations, to those who have already started and completed your college applications, but to the seniors who get cold feet when just hearing the word “college”, it is okay. I am here to help and so is College Board.

You should start by getting organized. College board says,”You can apply to colleges online or through the mail. Online applications can be processed quickly and may have built-in checks to ensure all materials are included. Mailed applications are easier to proofread. Either way, following this advice will set you up to succeed.”

You might want to consider having an organized file for your applications, whether it is on your computer or in a file cabinet.You should also start everything early by setting deadlines for essays and other things that you need for your college application. Be consistent by using the same name on all of your forms to make things easy for the admission officers, so don’t use a shortened version of your name and definitely no nicknames.

Be careful and don’t make careless mistakes on your application, it could decrease your chance of getting accepted. However, you can put it away for a day to reduce your stress levels of the application process, but make sure you check for errors, don’t put it aside and forget about it. You also need to let your school know what colleges you’ve applied or are applying to so you can have transcripts sent and recommendation letters prepared.

Once you’ve completed the application, you should follow these simple tips to make sure everything is in order and goes to where it belongs, also provided by college board. First, if anything needs to be mailed, including the application itself, you should do that right away. Any further hesitations would slow down the process. Try sending it in before the deadline so that way it has more time to process all the information. After all of that is completed, you should submit it, making sure there are no errors, and only submit it once. It will be confirmed via email or text. If you don’t receive one, contact the college application office but don’t submit any other application or there will be a lot of confusion. You should always make copies of your work and applications just in case something happens or just for you to have them. It’s a way to stay and keep organized. Try not to throw any important papers in the trash or in a random pile, try to keep it in folder or binder and label it so that you know what and where it is anytime you need it. Most importantly remember all the passwords, identification numbers, checks, emails and notes from the admission office, those are very important. If and when you mail the application, put a stamp on the envelope and talk to the post office about a return receipt service, it will take a few weeks to receive a confirmation card. If you do all this, you are all done with this stressful process. Congratulations!!!

For more information visit: https://bigfuture.collegeboard.org/get-in/applying-101/tips-for-preparing-your-college-application