Being A Black Vegetarian

homemade+cauliflower+wings+made+by+Nayette+Windley+
homemade cauliflower wings made by Nayette Windley

Nayette Windley, Staff Reporter

¨What do you even eat?¨. ¨Are you doing this to lose weight?¨.¨ Are you getting enough protein?” This is just a taste of the comments I get on a day to day basis. People look at me as some sort of rare species. ¨Wow, you’re really a vegetarian?¨ and they give me this side eye look.

So why become a vegetarian? Well for one, meat is pretty disgusting from my perspective. After the information I gathered about the meat industry from YouTube and food documentaries I decided to never touch meat again. Seriously, learning about the meat industry will make anyone’s stomach turn. Also I heard that being a vegetarian would increase my energy, and anybody that knows me knows I needed that extra energy.  Although losing weight was not the main reason why I wanted to be vegetarian (even though a lot of people thought it was) I heard that being a vegetarian could help me lose some of my chunkiness.

Let me just say that being a vegetarian can be difficult thing to do, but being a vegetarian in a black family is like eating soup with a fork. During family get togethers in the summer I was the only odd ball just eating corn on the cob and chips. However those summer barbecues did not compare to the boring, basic meal I had on Thanksgiving. For those who don’t know black families (for the most part) put meat in EVERYTHING, even the vegetables. So while everyone else was chowing down on Honey glazed ham and smoked turkey with collard greens and green beans mixed with turkey meat, on my scraggly plate there was white rice, potato salad, and baked macaroni and cheese. My plate looked incredibly sad compared to everyone else’s and it made me kind of sad too. However the pros of being a vegetarian definitely outweigh the cons.

Before becoming a vegetarian I was always tired and sluggish but now I can say that is not the case anymore. I have more energy than ever before and after I eat I don’t feel weighed down. Now getting up in the morning isn’t such a daunting task since I sleep so much better now, even my morning grogginess seems to have disappeared. Also my chubbiness seems to be slowly chipping away and I’m not mad about that.

Overall my year and three months of being a vegetarian has changed me for the better. Although the beginning of my journey was a bit rough, I can say that this experience has given me nothing but positive outcomes. I’m an overall healthier person than I was a year ago. I sleep better, I focus better, and I even (kind of) eat better. Although they crack the occasional “you eat like a rabbit” jokes, my family and friends for the most part have been supportive of my lifestyle change. I even inspired my father to try to be a pescatarian for a whole month! Being a vegetarian has made a positive impact on my life and others so why stop now?