Fenty Beauty: Is it a Hit or Miss?

Mini Vice, senior, and Esme Lara, senior, pose for a selfie with a snapchat filter wearing Rihanna’s Fenty Beauty makeup line.

Mini Vice, Staff Reporter

Rihanna has recently come out with her own makeup line entitled, Fenty Beauty. She has claimed that her products created the most inclusive, affordable and ethical line on the market.

When first releasing her line, Rihanna came out with 40 shades of foundation. For most companies that is unthinkable. Usually, what makeup companies do is release about five to ten shades to test the market usually ranging from light to beige. Fenty Beauty did what no one else was doing and decided to cater to those whose weren’t being catered to.

Women like Nyma Tang, You Tube personality, who weren’t finding their foundation shade in any companies, are now able to find something that is in their shade, their undertone, and their coverage level.

Darker skinned women, ranging from medium to deep, are considered as having more than one or two shades to Fenty Beauty. They understand that the darker end of the spectrum has just as many shades as the lighter side.

Fenty Beauty is also affordable. The Pro Filt’r Soft Matte Longwear Foundation is $34 compared to the companies that use similar ingredients, packaging, and chemists. The Hourglass Vanish Seamless Finish Foundation Stick is $46 and the Laura Mercier Flawless Fusion Ultra-Longwear Foundation is $48.

“The price is a steal,” Esmeralda Lara, senior, commented.

Rihanna’s products are all cruelty-free which means that none of her products were tested on animals. This was an ethical choice seeing as many popular companies like Clinique, Benefit and Makeup Forever choose this route and test on animals publicly.

When it came time to finally go get the products, I chose to go on the release day of Rihanna’s new holiday collection. I purchased the Galaxy Eyeshadow Palette, Cosmic Gloss Lip Gloss, Eclipse 2-in-1 glitter release eyeliner, Pro Filt’r Soft Matte Longwear Foundation, Match Stick Trio in tan, and Gloss Bomb Universal Lip Luminizer.

I got to Sephora when it had just opened at 10 a.m. and there was a line formed. Having already done my research on the products, I made a beeline straight for the stand and grabbed what I wanted.

I had heard some controversial remarks about the foundation from makeup artists as well as friends, so I tested the product on my face before actually buying it. The foundation does actually oxidize quite a bit, so I am glad that I had swatched the formula to find the correct shade for me. Other customers weren’t so lucky.

“I was upset at first because I bought what was shade matched my color and it oxidized. I had to go back and get it exchanged, but the foundation itself is amazing. It is so longwear.” Lara told.

“The foundation is really dewey and I love that, but it is kind of hard to blend.” Susana Gotera, junior, stated.

The eyeshadow palette also sparked an interest in me and I swatched many of highly-pigmented shades while in the store.

After collecting the items I wanted, I headed towards the checkout and I could hear disappointed calls and cries from other customers hearing that the holiday palette was already sold out.

After getting home and taking the products out and trying them for the first time, I think I fell in love. The products went on quickly and blended seamlessly. The foundation is matte, skin-like and provides my oily skin with the savior it needed. I used all of the new products and I had finished my makeup within half of the time that it normally takes me.

“I absolutely love it. It’s really lightweight and has buildable coverage.” Brianna Castagna, senior, said. “I really support her company because there are shades and colors for darker skin tones. Sometimes makeup companies leave them out. It’s really hard for me to find my own shade too. She has the right undertones for me.”

I went out to dinner later and received many compliments from not only my family, but from other customers and staff.

During the week of spirit week and homecoming, I experimented with different looks and products. On the days when I had work, I wore the makeup for about 18 hours. The makeup still looked as fresh as it did when I first applied it towards when it was time to take it off and go to bed.

The makeup is long wear and goes great with my skin type, without using any primers or setting sprays. It makes my skin look flawless and highlights beautifully. I love the Fenty beauty makeup brand and I hope it gets the recognition it deserves.