Freshmen Discuss Their Experience at A.I.

Mr. Schmidt's freshman seminar class hard at work.

Rachael Davis, Features Editor

The incoming 2017-2018 school year has brought a new group of freshmen. With everything so new to them, they were asked about their experience so far. Students were asked how they felt about the school, what teachers were their favorites, how they felt about the house system, how they felt about the schedule, if they’ve been able to easily navigate the halls, what their favorite class is, and if their current experience is how they pictured high school to be.

Many students from Mrs. Holliday’s social studies class and Mr. Pascoe’s civics and economics classes were interviewed. While they may not represent the entirety of the freshman class, their majority was as follows;

The majority of students said they liked the school so far, and some even went as far as saying they loved it.

Nick Wacksman described it as, “fun and social,” while Juan Rodriguez said, “It’s a great school. I think I will like it here very much.”

Freshman LaJuan Coleman had advice for the school, “Make your water colder.”

In terms of favorite teachers, Pascoe took the lead with 37 votes. 25 people simply said all of their teachers were their favorite. 20 said Holliday was their favorite, 16 said Pollard, and 13 said Calibeo.

“She has a passion for what she does. I admire that,” Solane Downing said about Calibeo.

12 students stated Blake was their favorite teacher. Ten said Leonard Jr, and eight students said Phelps. Tied with seven votes was Hall and Marcune. Malatesta, Dominelli, and Brody were tied with six. Five votes went to Lantz, Manganelli, and Meanor each. Four students said Conklin was their favorite, and four votes went to Puello as well. Schneider, Weaver, Vankerhoven, and Schmidt all had three votes. Two people claimed Block, Byers, Harden, and Alley, and tied with one vote each were Taylor, Blum, Jacobs, Johnson, Serma, Abernathy, Bowman, Thompson, Barr, Kohl, and Lucas.

When asked about the house system, the students overall said it was a good idea and they liked it, or they kept their answer neutral by saying it was okay.

Juan Rodriguez said it is “a great way to spread school spirit.” Others thought it was a good idea, but had some concerns about it.

“The tickets have been brushed under the rug,” said Jacqueline Taylor.

Some, however, were confused, and others weren’t entirely sure what that question meant, meaning they’re unaware there even is a house system.

In regards to the schedule, and more specifically homeroom after first period, many said the schedule was fine, but homeroom should be at the beginning of the school day.

“I wish homeroom was after first,” said Grace Wooten, “My first and second periods are right next to each other. So much more walking!”

Hallways seemed to be a problem for the freshmen, but they adapted quickly. The majority answered that they were not able to easily navigate the halls on the first few days, but were able to now easily.

Next, the students were asked about their favorite classes. The top favorite class of the group interviewed was math, maintaining 27 votes. Civics and economics was a close second with 26 votes. Gym followed with 19 votes. Next was Spanish with 17, biology with 13, English with eight, freshman seminar with five, drama, social studies, business, and non specific science with four, drafting and design with three, com tech, French, CAD, cooking, band, and art with two. Finally, one vote went to chemistry, study hall, choir, and Chinese class each. Two people had decided that no classes were the best classes.

“Lunch,” said Jeffrey Campbell.

“Homeroom,” said Eric Tafoya.

The last question had split answers. Many said they had already pictured high school to be the way that it is from tv shows, books, movies, or just based on the fact that they imagined it to be like middle school, only harder, and it is. The other half said they had not pictured it to be like this, and they pictured it harder, or easier, or just didn’t think fiction did it justice like their peers.

“I had imagined more songs and more people dancing,” Nick Wacksman joked.

“I pictured dorms and having different food vendors we can buy from,” said David Kutsch.