Senioritis Gets the Best of A.I. Seniors

Jonaei Ellerbe, Co-Editor in Chief/Sports Editor

Jonaei Ellerbe
Senior Cameron Wright naps on the back table of his last period class.

Is your last year of high school taking forever to end? Not wanting to get up in the morning or finish homework? Teachers being overwhelmingly persistent? Sounds like you have a classic case of senioritis.

“I’m Bahaia Wilkins and I suffer from severe senioritis,” Wilkins, senior joked. “I have no desire to still be in high school anymore and my patience is running low.”

Some of you may not even know what senioritis is. According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, senioritis is “an ebbing of motivation and effort by school seniors as evidenced by tardiness, absences and lower grades.”

Visualize this for a better understanding. You’re running a marathon and you get ridiculously tired a quarter mile away from the finish line. You know you’re almost done. Yet, the finish line is moving farther away. We call that, senioritis.

According to Her Campus website, you’ll suffer from symptoms of, missing due dates, an excessive desire to skip class, and you’ll have the urge to be defiant.

Senioritis is something that people take lightly. They feel it’s ludicrous because you should be preparing yourself for college.

When asked if teens were suffering, many A.I. seniors responded with a “yes.”

“Yeah I have it. It takes me forever to get up,” senior Ja’Aira Harmon said.

“I don’t know how y’all do it because I cannot take another day of this place,” senior James Laws-Jordan told.

According to the Huffington Post website, even some teachers suffer from senioritis. Apparently, teachers are handing out less work and tests. Some have even gotten rid of tests completely.

Being in your last year of high school is an exciting thing. Once you graduate, you’re obligated to do nothing with your time. I believe knowing that information is what triggers senioritis for most people.

When asked what she thought about senioritis, Brandy Rodgers, A.I. CIS Site Director advised, “Don’t let senioritis get you held back.”

Not only does she have a point but in 2009, 22 percent of colleges revoked an admissions offer due to final grades, according to NBC news.

Senioritis is serious and not a lot of people understand that. If you let it, it could ruin your future and everything you’ve worked hard for.

“There’s only one growth strategy: work hard,” said William Hague, British Conservative politician.