New Changes For The 2017-2018 School Year Cause Controversy

Kiara Brooks, senior, Marcus Wooding, senior, Makhi Swanson, senior, and Heaven Jenkins, senior, pose in the school cafeteria wearing their solid colored zip-up hoodies that are now considered dress code.

Mini Vice, Staff Reporter

With a new school year, new changes have surfaced. Most changes were a result of issues that were prominent in the 2016-2017 school year.

The most controversial changes are involving the schedule. This includes the new placement of homeroom and the shorter amount of time to get to class. Homeroom is no longer the first class that students go to when they get to school. It’s after first period now.

“Last year [homeroom] made sense, but now I just don’t get it,” Tianna Manzano, senior, said.

“I feel that the change with homeroom is unnecessary, but I get that [Mr. Palladinetti] wanted to change it to avoid people skipping, but it’s just awkward,” Ava Damiani, junior, stated.

“My bus comes late and it’s a struggle. I always miss my first period and I thought that’s why we had homeroom,” Lorena Trujillo, senior, added.

Students seem to be most frustrated with the four-minute class change.

“That’s dead,” Nadirah Saunders, senior, commented.

Issues regarding getting to class on time are surfacing.

“A lot of us weren’t late to class and [students] still block the hallways and make the rest of us late when we normally aren’t,” Olivia Dooley, junior, said.

“Some classes are farther than others and it’s hard to get there in that little time,” Miyshe Harris, junior, added.

The times that classes start and end are now skewed due to the four minute class change period.

“I never know when classes start and end,” Isra Chaudhry, senior, said.

Although many are upset with this change, students and staff still manage to make light of the situation.

“My legs are going to be toned by the end of the year with all of this speed walking!” Damiani commented while laughing.

“I really think we need at least two more minutes to get to class,” Sydney Carson, senior, said.

A change that students are actually happy with is involving the dress code.

Last year, many students received referrals due to wearing hoodies and sweatshirts when the weather got colder. The school decided to resolve this issue by allowing students to wear solid color hoodies with small logos if applicable.

“The hoodies are a really cool change because I’m always cold and it’s just easier,” Shaniyah Hill, junior, stated.

However, the school is cracking down on dress code as well. During the senior assembly, Palladinetti explained that the hoodies were now allowed, so there is no reason to be out of dress code.

Another difference is the house incentive system that was started last year was updated over the summer and is now run by Mrs. Blum, English teacher.

“The ticket system is still promoting positive behavior and academic progress,” Blum said.

On the announcements, Palladinetti announced that we should expect more from our house program this year.

“They really just fell off last year,” Heaven Jenkins, senior, commented.

The houses were condensed down to only four, Blue Hen, Lightning,Wolverine, and Hornet. Tiger tickets seem to be given out more frequently. Many events for the house system are planned including a flag football game, prize drawings, dress down days, and even a winter dance in January.

Blum revealed that at the end of the school year, the first annual Cresci Cup will be held. It will be an olympic style event where all the houses compete.

“I hope they actually do something with [the house system] this year. This [sic] first few weeks last year were cool and then it just went down hill,” Carmen Jimenez, senior, said.

The school is somewhat confused and doubtful of all the new changes: however, many believe that this school year will be a good one.

“This is going to be my year!” Carson added.