ACLU fighting on the frontlines

photo credit: CBC.com

photo credit: CBC.com

Simone A. Scott, Features Editor

The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU),  has taken action to protect people all over the country and ensure Americans’ rights are preserved. Because of the ACLU, we have Miranda Rights (the right to remain silent) and Rights to Contraception (the right to birth control).

Recently, the ACLU sent a letter to President Trump restating all of the promises he proposed during his campaign and charging that they are “not simply un-American and wrong-headed.  They are unlawful and unconstitutional,” according to the ACLU.

The letter was published in the New York Times.

The ACLU  has taken the next step in their fight against the newly elected president, Donald Trump. They, along with several other groups, filed a lawsuit against our executive leader on the morning of January 28.

The lawsuit was filed after two Iraqi men, Hameed Khalid Darweesh and Brandon Friedman were  stopped from re-entering into the U.S. According to the ACLU website, “Hameed Khalid Darweesh, was traveling on an Iraqi Special Immigrant Visa and had worked as an electrical engineer and contractor,” and Friedman was “… a former Obama administration official who commanded a platoon during the invasion of Iraq.”

According to CNBC, “The order seeks ‘extreme vetting’ procedures for those it did allow to enter [into] the U.S. In signing the order, Trump said he pledged to ‘keep radical Islamic terrorists out of the United States of America.’ ”

After the ACLU filed their lawsuit, the director of the ACLU’s Immigrants’ Rights Project, Omar Jadwat said, “President Trump’s war on equality is already taking a terrible human toll. This ban cannot be allowed to continue,” according to the ACLU website.

Trump attempted to appeal the ACLU’s court approved stay on the ban, but was shot down by the United States Court for the ninth circuit who ruled to continue the ban’s “stay” or halt.

Recently, the ACLU has commented on Trump’s failed reinstatement on his “travel ban” in an effort to help cease its continuation. The ACLU  gave a brief explanation on their reasoning and view on the travel ban, which can be seen on the ACLU website.

Rallies and protestors have stood in front of and inside airports to voice the public’s opinion on President Trump’s travel ban.

According to the New York Times, by January 30,  “The A.C.L.U. has raised more than $24 million in online donations.”

This was almost seven times as much as the ACLU raised online in the entire year of 2015, NY Times website stated. Many of the donors were first time donors to the ACLU.

The Washington Times voiced their opinion on President Trump’s “ temporary halt” on Muslims, taking small jabs at the ACLU like “Adding to their litany of efforts to leave America less secure…” and ending the piece with, “Perhaps they’re on to something, because who would know better than they about the nuances of shiftiness?”